Jason A. Marsh
For nearly 20 years, Jason has practiced in the areas of general business and corporate law, commercial finance, commercial real estate, land use, promotions, marketing and advertising law, and intellectual property. He has worked with individuals and business of all sizes, from small start-up entities to multi-national corporations.
Areas of Practice
Business & Corporate
Jason counsels his clients regarding proper corporate governance and procedure, and regularly drafts and negotiates the panoply of agreements that arise in connection with the establishment of business entities and the life-cycle of those business. Such agreements include entity formation documents, operating agreements, Bylaws, shareholder agreements, employment contracts, licensing agreements and complex services agreements. He also assists clients with a wide range of transactional matters, including the private offering of securities (i.e., private placements), asset sales and purchases, stock/equity sales and purchases, commercial loan transactions, and business expansions, such as the formation of joint ventures and similar affiliations.
Commercial Real Estate
Jason has represented clients in a wide array of commercial real estate matters relating to the development, financing, leasing, acquisition, and management of nearly all types of commercial real estate. Jason’s finance practice includes representing lending institutions and borrowers in secured lending transactions.
Promotion, Marketing & Advertising
Jason advises clients on such matters as design, structure and execution of contests, sweepstakes and other games of chance, the review of advertising claims for legal compliance, the drafting and review of web site terms and conditions and privacy policies, and the development and execution of “cause” marketing promotions and commercial co-venture arrangements. He also drafts and negotiates agreements including marketing service agreements, sponsorship agreements and license agreements. In addition, Jason conducts seminars regarding games of chance and claim substantiation.
Intellectual Property / Copyright & Trademark
Jason regularly advises clients regarding the acquisition, exploitation and protection of intellectual property rights, with a particular emphasis on copyright and trademark law. With respect to trademarks, this includes: pre-screening trademarks for preliminary clearance; research and analysis of trademarks for federal and state availability; preparation and prosecution of federal and state trademark applications; preparation of international trademark registrations through the Madrid Protocol; prosecution of matters before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, including trademark opposition and cancellation proceedings; domain name searches, acquisitions and dispute resolution; advising clients on proper use, maintenance, protection and exploitation of marks; drafting and negotiating intellectual property licensing agreements.
- New York
- University of Connecticut School of Law, J.D., 1999
- University of Connecticut Law Review – Articles Editor
- Connecticut Moot Court Board – Member
- Blumenfeld Award for Excellence in Client Advocacy, 1999
- Tufts University, B.A. (Economics), 1996
- Omicron Delta Epsilon National Economic Honor Society, 1996
Professional & Community Activities and Speaking Engagements
- “1914 Baltimore News Ruth Sold for Record Price; Will Hit Fractional Shares Market” – Sports Collectors Daily, June 2021
- “Babe Ruth’s 1914 Baltimore card, valued at $6 million, sells for record price — now you can own part of it” – CNBC, June 2021
- “Babe Ruth’s 1914 card, valued at over $6 million, sells for record price” – The Athletic, June 2021
- Speaker, Fairfield County Bar Association, “Sweepstakes, Contests and Related Consumer Marketing Issues”, October 2014.
- Trumbull Town Council, Member, 2015-present.
- The Business Council of Fairfield County – Leadership Fairfield County Program, participant 2014.
- Young Professional’s Network, The Business Council of Fairfield County, Member, Steering Committee, 2008 – 2013.
- Speaker, Fairfield, Connecticut business lecture series, “The Ins and Outs of Federal Trademarks”
- Tashua Elementary School Fathers Club – Board member, 2009 – present.
- Camp Rising Sun (an American Cancer Society summer camp for children with cancer and leukemia) 1999 – 2004; Board Member, 2002 – 2004.